I have a number of email addresses. There are two personal addresses, although only one is used with personal correspondences. I also have several auto-replies. Both sets carries a role, and is designed to make life simpler for myself, and the people I correspond with.
The first two addresses as mentioned are tended to by me. The first, and most used address is firstname.lastname@example.org. The format of this address is designed to help you identify whom you are talking to. This is basically my first-name @ last-name . name. This address has a digital certificate which proves that when I send mail, it is actually me. Anyone sending email claiming to be me, but doesn’t have this certificate to sign digitally to my address is likely to not be me.
I also have an address for commercial purposes. This will include my WHOIS information. This is the address that is used when I shouldn’t use my owned email addresses. Writing to this address will only get replies from my pilone.name address unless it is through an appropriate company.
The other addresses are auto-replies. The auto-replies are intended to provide information without me having to provide the information in a personal email. As for the auto-replies, you would only get one from a particular address once a day. This is my hosting company’s policy – not mine. So if you wrote to about@@frankpilone.name, at 2AM, and wrote to the address again at 1:30AM, the next day – you will not get an auto-reply again as it has been less than 24 hours. Again, this policy is not one I would have, but still – it is a policy with the company. Below are my addresses.
- email@example.com: Personal address.
- firstname.lastname@example.org: About Me
- email@example.com: Call Handling
- firstname.lastname@example.org: Advice on being homeless
- email@example.com: Advice on setting up hosting services
- firstname.lastname@example.org: What I am looking for in a penpal
- email@example.com: Getting a SIP phone service
- firstname.lastname@example.org: Living on SSI
- email@example.com: Benefits of a .tel address
- firstname.lastname@example.org: Getting a Toll-Free Number
Again, the .name address is the only one that is replied from. All of the .info addresses are auto-replies. If you do not want any of my auto-replies, and someone is using your email address to have auto-replies sent – you can block all frankpilone.name addresses. Check with your email client or service provider for help in setting this up.